Over the next few months, the Minnesota Child Welfare Training Academy (MNCWTA) is piloting several cohorts of Motivational Interviewing (MI) training. MI is a practice tool that promotes behavior change through deep listening, reflection, and principles rooted in empathy and supporting self efficacy. As an evidenced-based practice, MI is one of the first approved services in the prevention plan for Minnesota’s Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA).
This training is designed for Minnesota county or tribal child welfare workers, child welfare supervisors, and lead workers or designated specialists within agencies. If you are not sure, discuss this opportunity with your supervisor. Refer to the CountyLink FFPSA webpage for the FAQ and one pager on prevention services for more details.
Prerequisites for MI Training
ICWA/MIFPA Prerequisite for MI Training
As of January 2020, the Tribal Training and Certification Partnership (TTCP) updated the ICWA/MIFPA course curriculum into a two day course that was implemented into Foundations. This updated course is a prerequisite for MI training. Approved courses that meet the ICWA/MIFPA prerequisite:
- Train Link: CSP111C1A (after January 2020)
- MNCWTA Training Portal (since November 2021): CWTA X100 (Foundations); CWTA X212 (ICWA/MIFPA Ongoing Worker); or CWTA X216 (ICWA/MIFPA for County Agency Supervisors)
A few things to note:
- If you took ICWA/MIFPA training outside the MNCWTA Training Portal between January 2020 and November 2021 (in Train Link, for example), please submit a help ticket with proof of training attached and MNCWTA staff will get you registered
- How to get proof of training: When you go into Train Link , choose "Children's Services" under the Learning Centers and then under "Student Information" you can "View or Print Your Transcript." Please show record of CSP111C1A since 1/23/2020
- If you completed an ICWA/MIFPA training prior to the change in January 2020, you will need to complete ICWA/MFPA Ongoing Worker Training (CWTA X212) through the MNCWTA Training Portal.
- If you have recently completed one of the Training Portal approved courses and haven’t received a “compete” on your record, please note it may take up to 5-7 business days from the course end date to process completion in the system.
- Supervisors, lead workers, or designated specialists within agencies who are designated to provide supervision to MI trained workers must complete training before workers, at the same time as workers, or within six months of workers starting training.
The Following Courses Make Up MI Training
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (MI) Skills for Child Welfare Professionals: Self-Paced
- This 2-hour course will be available as of September 15, and must be completed before you can register for the instructor-led course
- Motivational interviewing (MI) Skills for Child Welfare Professionals: Instructor-Led Workshops
- Learners will meet weekly for 3.5 hours over four weeks for this virtual course
- Upcoming Cohorts (plan ahead by holding these dates on your calendar):
- Cohort 1 | Wednesdays, October 4, 11, 18, and 25 | 8:30 a.m. - Noon
- Cohort 2 | Thursday, October 5, 12, 19, and 26 | 8:30 a.m. - Noon
- Cohort 3 | Wednesdays, November 1, 8, 15, and 29 | 8:30 a.m. - Noon
- Cohort 4 | Wednesdays, November 1, 8, 15, and 29 | 1:00 - 4:30 p.m. (Coming Soon)
- Cohort 5 | Fridays, November 3, 10, 17, and December 1 | 8:30 a.m - Noon (Coming Soon)
- Cohort 6 | Fridays, November 3, 10, 17, and December 1 | 8:30 a.m - Noon (Coming Soon)
- Cohort 7 | Thursdays, November 9, 16, 30, and December 7 | 8:30 a.m - Noon (Coming Soon)
- Cohort 8 | Thursdays, November 9, 16, 30, and December 7 | 1:00 - 4:30 p.m. (Coming Soon)
- Cohort 9 | Tuesdays, November 14, 21, 28, and December 5 | 8:30 a.m - Noon (Coming Soon)
Courses in Coaching Circles and Skills Demonstration will soon be available.
Initial cohorts are limited to 16 learners, and will be available on a first come, first served basis for those who can commit to training dates and have completed prerequisites.
Learners who complete these trainings, as well as the upcoming Coaching Circles and Skills Demonstration, will meet MI certification. More information about additional pathways for MI training and alternative MI certification will be available soon.
If you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.