The federal 2018 Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) established requirements to limit the number of children/youth placed in child care institutions (congregate care). The new requirements for placing agencies are meant to ensure that children/youth receive the treatment and services they need within their family, a family foster care setting or in their community, and only when that is not possible they are placed in an child care institution.
This page was created to share information, resources, and training about the Family First Prevention Services Act. To register for any of the FFPSA policy webinars and SSIS coffee talks taking place during August and September, visit here. Registration is required.
The webinars will be recorded and posted on this page for those who were not able to attend the live presentations.
- The Minnesota Department of Human Services has more information about opportunities to learn about new federal requirements for child care institutions.
- A practitioner’s guide to the Family First Prevention Services Act (1.0 hrs) - This one-hour module provides viewers with a practitioner-focused overview of the Family First Prevention Services Act.
- Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) online training from the Colorado Department of Human Services by the Colorado Child Welfare Training System.
- Five Ways to Better Serve Adolescents and Young Adults through the Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) - This brief highlights opportunities within the Families First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) for states to build a prevention continuum that includes a focus on healthy adolescent development and that recognizes and helps rectify disparate opportunities and outcomes for Black, Latinx/e, and Native American youth, and youth who identify as LGBTQ+.
- Understanding the Qualified Individual Program (Video with Marvin Davis from DHS)
If you need to receive proof of training, please use this FFPSA Webinar Completion Form. A few minutes after hitting "Submit" you will receive and email with a copy of the form indicated the session you attended. Please save this email for your records. The Training Academy will not keep record of attendance for this webinar series.
- FFPSA Placement Process Changes (08/05/21)
- FFPSA Juvenile Treatment Screening Team Process and Documentation (08/12/21)
- QRTP Assessment Process and Qualified Individual Requirements (08/17/21)
- Out of Home Placement Plan (08/24/21)
- AFCARS Facility Classification Documentation in SSIS (08/31/21)
- Family and Permanency Team’s Role in Assessment and Placement (09/02/21)
- Court Review for Placement and Extended Placement in QRTP (09/09/21)