The Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) of 2018 is federal legislation that changes the way child welfare services are provided in Minnesota. FFPSA gives state, county and tribal child welfare agencies the ability to receive 50% reimbursement for federally approved services for children at imminent risk of out-of-home placement and their caregivers. The FFPSA establishes placement prevention services to strengthen families, prevent maltreatment, and addresses other conditions that lead to out-of-home placement.
When out-of-home placement is necessary, FFPSA supports placement in family foster homes. It establishes restrictions on out-of-home placements in congregate care, and requirements for residential treatment facilities.
This page was created to help share information, resources, and trainings related to Family First Prevention Services Act in Minnesota. Recordings and supporting information for FFPSA related webinars and trainings are shared here.
Be sure to subscribe to the DHS Family First Prevention Services Act for relevant e-updates.
These recordings are separated by FFPSA residential services and FFPSA prevention services. If you need to receive proof of training, please use this FFPSA Webinar Completion Form. A few minutes after hitting "Submit" you will receive an email with a copy of the form indicating the session you attended. Please save this email for your records. The Training Academy will not keep a record of attendance for this webinar series.
FFPSA Residential Services
- FFPSA Placement Process Changes (08/05/21)
- FFPSA Juvenile Treatment Screening Team Process and Documentation (08/12/21)
- QRTP Assessment Process and Qualified Individual Requirements (08/17/21)
- Out of Home Placement Plan (08/24/21)
- AFCARS Facility Classification Documentation in SSIS (08/31/21)
- Family and Permanency Team’s Role in Assessment and Placement (09/02/21)
- Court Review for Placement and Extended Placement in QRTP (09/09/21)
- Specialized Residential Settings for Youth who have been or At Risk for Sex Trafficking (09/14/21)
- FFPSA and Expectant and Parenting Youth Overview (09/23/21)
- Specialized Residential Independent Living Facilities for Youth Age 18 Years and Older (09/28/21)
- Title IV-E and FFPSA (10/06/21)
- SSIS and the Relative Search (11/30/21)
- FFPSA Documentation of Residential Placements in SSIS (07/19/22)
- Relative Search, Notice, Engagement and Placement Consideration (10/18/2022)
FFPSA Title IV-E Prevention Services
- The Minnesota Department of Human Services has additional FFPSA information and resources on the Minnesota CountyLink site which includes:
- The Minnesota Department of Human Services developed several Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) guides including:
- Family First Prevention Services Act: Residential Placement FAQ
- Family Fist Prevention Services Act: Prevention Services FAQ
- Family First Prevention Services Act: Kinship Navigator FAQ
- Information Memorandum (IM) informs States and Tribes of the enactment of the Family First Prevention Services Act and provides basic information on the new law. ACYF-CB-IM-18-02
- Visit FamilyFirst.Org for national resources and additional information regarding FFPSA.
- Stay connected to updates and implementation of FFPSA:
- Subscribe to DHS Family First Prevention Services Act News and Updates to stay up to date on new information and updates in Minnesota
- Questions regarding residential placement process under FFPSA can be emailed to email@example.com
- Questions related to qualified individuals (QI) can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org