Learn more about Melissa Tjader-Berg, the Training and Development Lead for the Minnesota Child Welfare Training Academy.
- What do you do for the Training Academy? My position includes working with all staff and community trainers, from recruitment and onboarding to professional development and coaching.
- Tell us about your education and/or work experience prior to joining the MNCWTA. I graduated from University of Wisconsin - Green Bay with a major in Communications and minor in Women's Studies. Prior to joining the MNCWTA team, I worked for the MN Department of Corrections for 17 years as a Training & Development Specialist. My primary responsibility was coordinating the six-week training academy for new correctional officers throughout the state, specifically at Minnesota Correctional Facility (MCF) - Stillwater and MCF - Oak Park Heights. I also assisted in the development of curriculum, was a trainer of multiple curricula, and facilitated Restorative Justice sessions with offenders.
- How long have you been working in your field? I have been in the field of adult learning/training and development for 25 years.
- What do you enjoy most about your work? As a state employee, I see a large part of my role as serving those who are navigating within state systems. In my previous and current role, it is the teamwork aspect of the job I appreciate the most. It appeals to me because it is seeing what a group of dedicated individuals can do. Traveling throughout the state and interacting with so many people who have a story unlike my own is humbling. Being a part of today's wins hopefully means a better tomorrow for those we serve.
- What are you most passionate about professionally? I am so very passionate about children. To have the opportunity to work in a system that values what I value most about my personal life (being a mother) is very rewarding and fulfilling.
- What are you most passionate about personally? My family - 100%! I was blessed with amazing parents and siblings, and now a family of my own. Two years ago, we became a blended family of 6, including my husband and our 4 children.
- What are you surprisingly good at? I feel like I am good at event/party planning. I love being creative, and thinking of something for all ages who are in attendance. Connecting and celebrating moments in people's lives is definitely my jam!
- What do you like to do outside of work? I most enjoy being a part of nature with family and friends, exploring wineries, and attending concerts and sporting events.